Wednesday, July 1, 2015

July 1, 2015 - new month, new beginning, ADHD will no longer derail me

Hello again. Well, unfortunately I have learned that I am limiting myself in numerous aspects of my life. I have been reading up on how to follow through and what holds us back and if there is any correlation with ADHD. There is. Now I need a plan. I was reading another blog and the author was telling a story about being diagnosed with ADHD at 49 years old. He was in a group setting, eyes closed and told to think of a number of positives about himself pre diagnosis/medication. He was almost in tears. Everything he thought of had a but...attached to it. Wow. Welcome to my world. I'm glad someone else is here. Misery loves company, right? LOL Seriously, it sucks. The good news is it can be fixed and it doesn't have to be doom and gloom. I don't have to repeat mistakes and put myself in the "you always do this" category anymore. I am aware I have many good qualities but pre medication, I didn't believe I did. I thought I didn't get to my goals like good grades or fitness level because I was lazy or stupid. This is not the case. There is a lot of negative self talk happening and luckily I have a plan to stop this and the negative ADHD behaviors from taking over. The first step of my plan is to be aware of the negative self talk or the little person, lets call them George. My inner voice isn't a dude but George is just easier than picking a name of one of my friends lol. The second step, I am going to use a rubber band on my wrist to alert my attention to the situation when George is talking. This is the taking action step which will reduce and eliminate George. The third step is to insert positive talk. This will improve the derailing behaviors of ADHD. I will realize that if I do something I wish I hadn't, it is temporary, isolated and reversible. It is not the end of the world or the future. I will acknowledge the situation such as I screwed up but it doesn't mean that I am going to screw up everything. This will reduce the damage to self esteem. This will also enable me to get up, move forward and be energized. If something bad happens, I will put that fire out ASAP. If something good happens, I will enlarge that in order to be able to repeat that positive behavior. The main focus will be eliminating the negative and encouraging the positive. I know most of the time my getting overwhelmed due to stress has caused me to fall into the negative talk situation and I just continue to fall. I have started back in the gym which should keep the stress under control which will make this adjustment much easier and soon become my life and not something I need to remember to do. I will check back soon. I will. I'm sure my wrist will be killing me and maybe I will even take pics of it lol. If anyone else out there is going through this or has, I would love to hear how you got through it and any advice you can give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment